Thursday

TMI [too much information]

When is it considered too much information? My daughter, who is 13 years old, got asked out by a boy. We have been established in the community for about 10 years, so we pretty much know everyone around, especially the ones that have kids that are about our daughter's age. What I realized when she had her "official" boyfriend, that I had no clue who he was, neither did she from what it sounded like or maybe she was avoiding the fact that she might have to tell me? We are pretty open about these things or at least that's how I felt. I made a list of things that I wanted to know, whether they had relevance or not, just trying to see what kind of information would she be able to gather for me. She said things to me, like I don't think he has a cell phone and he might have an email, but for sure I don't think he uses IM [instant messaging], which I kind of find hard to believe. We are so wired these days, even my mother uses this stuff and she is in her 60's. I thought - Wow, that's so weird. So I asked for just simple things, like his address, phone number, cell number [if he had one], email address - oh and I can't forget the middle name. I wasn't quite sure why I wanted to know that, but I asked anyway. My daughter claimed to have told him that her mother [me, ms. stalker] wanted to know all of this information. Surprisingly enough, he gave it all to her. But the weirdest thing of all is that he has yet to tell his parents. She said that he claims that his parents are crazy. Now, what teenager doesn't think their parents are crazy? So I have yet to meet him in person. I saw him from afar and I haven't talked to his parents either. I asked my daughter was this just a "titled" relationship?? I don't know, but I thought they would talk or something, but apparently out of school, it is like this boy doesn't even exist? Summer is just around the corner, so we'll see what the future holds for us.

No comments: